What is University-Model Schooling®?
Covenant Christian Academy is modeled after a successful University-Model School, Grace Preparatory Academy, in Arlington, Texas. University-Model Schooling (UMS) is an educational alternative which combines a university type of schedule and learning techniques with parental involvement.
University-Model Schooling (UMS) is an educational alternative which combines a university type of schedule and learning techniques with parental involvement. University-model education takes the best aspects of traditional public and private schools, as well as home schools, and molds them into one model. UMS uses a university-style schedule adapted to the elementary, junior, and senior high levels. Professional teachers teaching in their areas of expertise conduct central classroom instruction. Elementary students attend classes on Tuesday and Thursday while middle school students attend classes on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Students spend alternative days at home where parents continue their instruction or monitor student progress. Teachers provide parents with detailed instructions for days spent at home. Low student/teacher ratios provide for greater instructional effectiveness and thus better use of limited classroom time. The recommended maximum student/teacher ration limits for a UMS are set at 16:1 for Elementary; 18:1 for Middle School classes.
Though off-campus parental roles are clearly defined and required in the model, UMS should not be equated with home schooling or home schooling cooperatives. Nor should UMS be understood as traditional classroom education that has simply reduced classroom time (i.e. a Monday, Wednesday, Friday classroom agenda). Its significance lies in its ability to effectively partner parents with highly qualified teachers to gain better academic results, especially among average students. This partnership is facilitated by using a university-type schedule and administrative system, while requiring a strong work ethic. The UMS model has proved to be one of the best preparations for students planning on attending college.
University-Model Schooling is not for you if...
- you believe the professional educator is in charge of your child’s education.
- you don’t desire to be an active parent mentor to your child.
- you “equate sending kids to school with giving them an education.”
- you don’t want to spend more time with your children.
- your family situation does not allow a parent or acting parent to be available to your child while studying at home.
- you believe that once a child is attending school they need you less.
University-Model Schooling is for you if...
- you believe you are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- you believe that, as the parent, you are in charge of your child’s education.
- you want to spend more time with your children.
- you believe that parents are to travel the journey called education with their children and you consider it a joy and a privilege to do so.
- you have a need and desire to partner with gifted and professional teachers in a character-based academic environment, “appealing to student’s hearts as well as their minds.”
- you desire to intentionally position yourself towards your child and his/her educational needs, prioritizing their academic development while shepherding their hearts.
Covenant Christian Academy | Warrenton, VA 20187
Training hearts & minds for the glory of God
Reasons for UMS
Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.